eros the bittersweet

i can see clearly now

today, i woke up with the memory of a humid afternoon spent in the streets of quiapo - not because of anything romantic or nostalgic. just because my legs hurt like hell. they do.

after spending brunch with nanay (jona's mom) at robinson's place manila, where we went to look for the most comfortable pair of sandals there is, i made sure that part of my itinerary is a side trip to quiapo. it was busy as ever, and i actually felt like a salmon - when i had to go against countless strangers in order to get to the other side.

i went straight to paterno st., a place known for wholesale stores that sell japanese soaps, cup noodles and other paraphernalia, dental supplies and of course - eyeglasses. a few posts ago, i have mentioned that i broke my red pair, or the other way around, the red pair broke on me.

i took the specs with me and went straight to cybervision - unfortunately, they no longer have a stock for the same frames because as they were told (and as i discovered), they were not exactly made with the best kind of plastic. what would you expect? the frames were at a mere php 200.00 when jona and i got it.

after being told that it was not available, i went into a 'scouring' frenzy - i checked for frames that are small enough so i would not have to buy a new set of multi-coated lenses and they can just transfer them. one assistant was very helpful and she didn't stop looking until she found a pair that would fit my face and was still available in black.

this would mean i now have a total of 3 specs. call me nuts, i don't care. i actually have cautioned my wife about this - she was the one who introduced the idea of getting glasses to me - this might be one of those things that i would collect. here's all that i have, the pair on top was what i had made yesterday:


all in all i spent about php 600.00 for the specs, a little less than a gallon of sweat walking around and taking the train to and from manila and a lot of winks from my wife -- saying that she liked my new glasses on me.

0 comments:

 

anais nin

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

t.s. eliot

i should have been a pair of ragged claws.

frida kahlo

i hope the exit is joyful and i hope never to return.