eros the bittersweet

rasta pattie

i took a leave from work today, hoping to get a bit of rest, only to end up cleaning my room again. blame it on my mom - she somehow managed to procure a can of pledge furniture spray. that was more than enough to send me to an involuntary bookshelf-dusting frenzy. so most of my afternoon was spent re-doing the exact same thing i did the other day.

later this evening, i decided to go to the mall to pick up a few things (i.e.: plasticware to keep my stuff tidy, a retractable mouse, a 4-port usb hub). i decided against the mouse and the usb hub all because one was expensive and the other - won't be much of a help at all since i cannot use it for my external hard drive or my broadband stick and they don't have a stock of what could actually do all that for me.

after nearly an hour of scouring for what's on my list store after store, i got hungry and went back to the first floor and got myself some jamaican pattie. i have always ordered cheez n' beef for apparent reasons, but if there will be a shortage of it, i go for beefy mushroom or something tomato (i cannot seem to recall the name). the picture you see above was the cheez n' beef pattie when i was halfway through it.

i was looking forward to a meal that really did not involve a plate of rice this time, as i knew i had to go around a bit more and canvass for a chair i could use in my room. so i started to eat. or shall i say - i started to try to eat. the pattie was scalding hot i could not get to the most important part of it - the beef and the cheese.

do not get me wrong. i have always loved jamaican patties and it's a great tasting snack but this one nearly killed what passion i have left for its kind. i totally did not mind the thick chili paste i put all over it. it was the temperature of the food. it was smoking hot.

and even after several mini-bites, it was still smoking hot. literally. i was probably eating it for about 20 minutes and it never changed. every bite on the pattie led to a sore in my tongue. well, there weren't any actual sores but it did feel that way. for the entire time, my tongue really did not feel or taste much.

i would not say it was a disaster, maybe it is a call for me to exercise more of the patience i thought i had. i will most definitely go back to jammin jamaica and get myself some more patties and this time, tag a fire hydrant along.

0 comments:

 

anais nin

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

t.s. eliot

i should have been a pair of ragged claws.

frida kahlo

i hope the exit is joyful and i hope never to return.