eros the bittersweet

broken glass

i always have had a penchant for collecting things that an average human being wouldn't bother much about - books (usually of the same author), movies (same actors that i really like), fountain pens (i used to own 3, now am only able to keep one - i remember giving my hello kitty pen (a real, functional, ink-hungry pen) to one of my favorite college professors and the other one i lost when i was in college, it was handed to me as a gift when i graduated from high school), watches (i have two precious esprit watches and am planning to add more).

early this year, jona convinced me to get my eyes checked - am used to proudly telling people that i have 20-20 vision, given my unhealthy reading habits. so one day last february, we went to quiapo to get the deed done. turned out that i no longer have perfect vision. instead, i was told by the optometrist that i am nearsighted and both my eyes have a grade of 25. not bad for someone who's spent most of her life with her face stuck on books (or television - but mostly books).

i have to admit that i tried to cheat when it came to reading the snellen chart. which was a total bummer because if that was what i really wanted to do, i should have memorized all the letters on the freakin chart but i didn't. ha! so after pretending that i could see everything, i surrendered, i succumbed. the doctor told me not to force it and just like what my wife would say - it's better to have glasses on since i spend most of my work on the computer.

in a matter of 4 months, i managed to have 3 pairs of spectacles done. i suppose it's the obsessive-compulsive in me. i initially wanted to get frames to match the clothes i'd usually wear, which shouldn't at all be difficult because majority of what i have are in black. here's a picture of my wife and i after our first trip to the optometrist:


i know what you would say. what stands out is not our brand new glasses but the color of the shirts we were wearing. i feel like my wife looks like cotton candy and i look like banana chips. haha! it beats me that it took me a long while to get used to wearing glasses - and it is not like my life depends on it. for pete's sake, my nephews' (botchok's and dunstan's) glasses are thicker than mine, with the latter practically blind without it.

jona actually got me my first pair. after a few weeks, we went back and i got another pair made. here's a picture of them with some of my books:


before my wife left, we had another pair made (she had to get an extra pair in case the other one would break and i only felt like having to get another pair, not out of necessity, but out of the fact that the red frames were really cute and i thought it would match my favorite fake, red converse sneakers). and the frames were pretty cheap. so yesterday, as i was doing my morning routine (drinking coffee, checking my blog, reading the news on the net), i went downstairs to get myself my caffeine fix and as i was removing my red glasses so i could fix my hair, it broke. the subject for today's post is not a metaphor for anything, apparently.

my dear mom tried to salvage the poor glasses. she came to the rescue, having found a bonding agent (this is the most apt name, but sure, you can call it 'mighty bond') in less than five minutes after i told her that the left temple broke in two.

then my mom gave me the saddest news - it can no longer be fixed. when i told my wife about the news, she laughed and told me it's time to let it go. we got it for roughly around php 600, frames included. i always have had trouble letting things be. i kept it and has since found its way back to the plastic case it came with.

i am bent on taking it to quiapo within the next few days, with the hope that i can get the same frame and just use the lenses. talk about being a cheapskate.

0 comments:

 

anais nin

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

t.s. eliot

i should have been a pair of ragged claws.

frida kahlo

i hope the exit is joyful and i hope never to return.