eros the bittersweet

things i love

almost always, when i succumb to a hiatus and i come to my senses and initiate a post such as this one, i would begin by saying: "i am going back to the one thing i love." which is writing. which is sharing. which is discovering.

so allow me to introduce (again) my wife's 28th birthday gift for me - eros - a dual-core hp netbook. never mind the picture my wife took of me at 4 in the morning. i suppose what made the difference was when jona said she thought of giving me one because she knows i love to write, because she knows that if i have access to something like that, i would find a way to write something on my blog everyday.

though i really haven't written a lot for the better part of this year, i am grateful that i have someone who believes in the smallest capacity i hold when it came to writing. it has always been her belief in what i can do that pushed me to never stop writing or at least trying to write. whether it is something as random as this, or a sonnet or a love letter, she's always made it a point to appreciate what i have created.

i remember something though - before we took eros home, my wife cautioned me about one thing - never take work home. and i haven't. and i never will.


this is my shelf - and it was taken months back, i have more books now and my shelf - and most of the stuff i have inside my room now are pretty...disorganized. and even when i own about 250 books (or something to that effect), 50 of which i haven't read (that's a very rough estimate), i still keep buying books. i am unsure why, but there is this part of me that's satiated every time i buy myself a book. maybe i like the idea of filling a huge space (like this one), or the idea that when technology fails (www is unavailable for some reason), i can grab a good book and sit in a quiet corner and get my mind going.

jona has never attempted to get me a book, saying that i have myriad taste when it came to literature, but what i do like is the fact that when we spend time together, she'd read her school materials (my wife's an orthodontist) and i would be devouring whatever i could take from my library and we'd be talking to each other about what we have read or have been reading. it is a nice exercise and i love the idea that we could be interested in totally different things but we never fail to listen to what we both have to share.

a couple of days ago, i went to the sun cellular shop in mall of asia to get myself a broadband stick. i have been using a prepaid broadband stick (of another brand) and it was just a pain in the behind. it took forever to log in and it took forever to disconnect it. until i finally decided it's time i check other providers. so i did. jona and i had a scheduled cyber date that day and to both our surprise, the sun broadband kept our video real time for a consistent 3 hours. i had it bundled with my blackberry plan and for only php799 a month, i have unlimited internet access.

which is why i am here. which is why i am wide awake at 4 in the afternoon. which begs the next few lines -

thank you, my lifetime, for never ceasing to encourage me to write - whether it's for work or my own enjoyment. thank you, for enduring long coffee sessions with me so we can sit in front of each other and read what nourishes us and love every single second of it. lastly, thank you for always making it a point to meet in the middle with me. who would have thought that a fast and consistent internet connection is enough to make me giddy because we have a date and we can finally see each other again. i love you.

0 comments:

 

anais nin

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

t.s. eliot

i should have been a pair of ragged claws.

frida kahlo

i hope the exit is joyful and i hope never to return.