eros the bittersweet

chasing ghosts

I am writing this as the hour is about to close. The last minute before another full hour is unveiled.

Today feels like a ‘better’ day to let go. I said ‘better’ because there never would be a really great day to let go – especially if I am talking about letting you go. The last few years have been this undeniable heartbreak. Carrying your memories within me, I meant. It was inevitable, yet I don’t want to be telling myself that ‘I should have seen this coming.’

If I saw this coming and stopped from the very onset I would not have realized how much I can endure for you. Or how much I can endure because of you.

I am not blaming you for anything. I am not going to walk around as if I am the only one who has been hurt or as if I am the only person entitled to feel awkward or unruly about all that has been.

I just do not want to go on another day looking at the things we have committed or failed to commit magnified to a terrifying degree. And all this time it feels like I am the only person to be blamed for the mess. I never knew what you wanted and you never asked about what I wanted and everyone else had the painful impression that somehow, I was the one who left you hanging.

I no longer want to be construed as the culprit for this disaster. I only wanted to keep you. I only wanted to be the person you can go to when you feel lost. I only wanted to be there for you. But I haven’t been exactly able to do that – not because I am too caught up in my own chaos but because I wasn’t given any other option but to silence myself. And my heart.


I never meant to hurt you. I never meant to make you feel neglected or forsaken. However, there is no undoing – it was a mistake to not be upfront with you. It was a mistake simply to let things by and not clarify my side of the story. I wouldn’t ever think that my ‘truths’ won’t matter to you – but I suppose I allowed for things to be the way they are because I do not have the right to barge into your life anytime I would like to. Because I do not have the right to hurt you any more than I already have.

I wanted to try ‘mending’ my wrongs, however, I know that it will take more than just words to appease you. And actually, right this moment, I am unsure of what I did wrong to deserve your silence and reluctance.

In the end, I think I am the one chained to the pain of losing you. I know I have lost you a long time back but I was in denial – for as long as I can remember. I was somehow still hoping that we both can be adults about what has come and gone and implicitly admit that we both had our share of shortcomings.

I have run out of means to make myself believe that things will be better. That there still is the slightest glimmer of hope and light to hold on to.

I do not know how else to empty my heart for you and for this. I have allowed myself to fall into the trap of carrying the guilt or the burden – and that will end today. I will take whatever it is that you can offer, it there is any. Otherwise, I will eagerly accept the fate that will be left of the ruins.

1 comments:

wala said...

oy becky...ito pala yung sinasabi mo na post mo last may...i'm lost while reading it..maybe because i don't know the story behind the texts..anyway, ok na naman kayo ngayon so okay na! hehehe! apir becky! oy, FB FB FB!!!

 

anais nin

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

t.s. eliot

i should have been a pair of ragged claws.

frida kahlo

i hope the exit is joyful and i hope never to return.