eros the bittersweet

chapstick tales

I am a lip balm whore. Pardon my French. I have been using lip balms for as long as I can remember. I started with the cherry flavored chapstick (long before Katy Perry started singing about a girl she had kissed who used a fruit flavored lip balm) then slowly switched to the mint flavored one. Kinda like when I was starting to smoke – I used Marlboro lights then Marlboro menthol.


There is something about me and minty stuff. Maybe in a past life I was a koala that munched on eucalyptus leaves. That’s not so bad.

I cannot live without a balm – lest I want for the recurring windburn and chapping make me look like I have herpes simplex. I remember when I was growing up, I’d have this ‘extra line’ around my lips whenever it’s time for the holidays – because again, the weather changed. I’d say using chapstick not only boosted my morale but saved me from being bullied at school.

All the irregularities in my body pretty much is caused by sudden changes in temperature – when it is too hot or too cold, I get allergies. When it’s too hot or too cold, my lips become so dry the Sahara desert would have me as a competition (obviously I am exaggerating – if that’s what happened I’d probably be dead already).

I have a stash of a lot of different things – cds, vcds, dvds (fakes and authentic), cassette tapes, magazines, books, journals, datebooks, poetry motebooks…and…used chapsticks. I am an oddball I know. But I only saved those that I have used last year (swear)! Ahahaha. The picture you’ll be looking at has at least 23 or 24 lip balms.


The average life span of a chapstick in my possession? No more than 2 weeks. This is part of my regimen. I don’t put make up on, I am a water and facial wash girl…and I can never be without my chapstick. 2 weeks is also the average life span (probably) of your college fling…if you had one. It is also the average life span of your college fling’s number on your phone book after you ditch him or her.

Obviously I am the kind who likes to ramble. I can talk about anything and everything non-stop (specially when there is alcohol/coffee and cigarettes involved). I can talk about the most marvelous, moving things to the most unusual or mundane stuff – which is precisely the reason I am writing about possibly one of the bestest best friends I have ever had – my dear spearmint chapstick.

Each time I run out of chapstick, I am usually restless and distressed, an addict shivering because the withdrawal symptoms are kicking in. Erick has, countless of times, seen me search alleys of drugstores or grocery stores desperately for them chapsticks.

And Erick would always say only one thing when he sees me finally get my ‘chapstick fix’ – which is - I look like I am raping it. And I still don’t know how I should take that ahahah.

0 comments:

 

anais nin

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

t.s. eliot

i should have been a pair of ragged claws.

frida kahlo

i hope the exit is joyful and i hope never to return.