eros the bittersweet

meeting in the middle

‘We finally caught up with each other…’

I spent a good part of my afternoon (yesterday) watching the TV. My eyes were tired but my brain was restless. So I reached for a DVD and watched ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button’ for the umpteenth time.

There is something about this movie that is just so engaging, enthralling, enchanting. It may be the story, the characters, the actors’ chemistry. Or maybe it is just me.


I suddenly remembered what it felt like – watching the film in the silver screen. Everything about it is just so magnanimous. It lasted two hours and forty-five minutes but the creators definitely were visionaries.


Some parts of the film made my eyes tear up (or perhaps I was just plain exhausted), including:

  • The way Benjamin and Daisy embraced each other when the latter went back to New Orleans after recuperating from an accident.

  • When they watched the sunrise together and Daisy tenderly said: ‘I promise not to lose myself to self-pity again.’

  • Here’s another good scene: After Daisy’s return, they were sitting across each other. Daisy said: ‘You have not said two words.’ Whereas Benjamin, with his gaze anchored at her, quipped: ‘I don’t want to ruin anything.’

  • When Benjamin took Daisy to her room and she closed the door behind them and all that you can hear was the lock clicking.

  • The way Benjamin amorously said: ‘Absolutely.’ (Come on people, that scene is hard to forget)

  • This line says it all: ‘Some things last.’

  • The bittersweet moment when Benjamin was leaving his family and he left the money and the key on Daisy’s bedside table. Daisy was looking at him, trying to comprehend what he is doing and Benjamin looked at her, stunned and unable to say anything.

Here’s something that I wanted to share with you. This was the letter that Benjamin wrote for their daughter Caroline on her 13th birthday (if I am not mistaken):


‘For what it’s worth, it’s never too late or in my case too early, to be whoever you want to be. There is no time limit. Stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best, darling.’

‘I hope you’d see things that stopped you. I hope that you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with different point of view. I hope you live a life you are proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.’


Written September 4, 2009

1 comments:

teta said...

nakakainis ha naiyak ako sa post nato!

 

anais nin

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

t.s. eliot

i should have been a pair of ragged claws.

frida kahlo

i hope the exit is joyful and i hope never to return.