eros the bittersweet

what a woman needs

a few days back, when i took a 2-day hiatus from work, i wanted to preoccupy myself. and i thought - what better way to do that but to clean my room. or a part of it. actually, half of it. i don't have a picture of what it looked like then, but here's what it looks like now:


since my wife left, i hardly found the time (because i often stay at their house during my rest days) and energy (because i am overwhelmed by the sudden feeling of emptiness) to clean it. so yeah, for about three months i was infected by a serious lethargy strain - i watched my shelf gather dust, i saw my books choke (they have feelings too and anything can happen), i let my study table hold anything and everything - clothes piled up, stuffed toys sat on the clothes that were piling up, papers, documents, bills, payslips, magazines. name it. just not work stuff. i try my best never to take work stuff home. if i do, i would soon forget about it and it would rot inside my bag until it's time that i come back to work.

i don't know what it was, maybe it was jona's ceaseless request that i fix my room or maybe my body felt like it needed to sanitize what it is surrounded with. i cleaned my room around 10 o'clock in the evening and the marathon lasted until 5. crazy body clock. before that, i went to the mall to get myself a few things (or armor, or ammunition, whichever applies) before i start cleaning my space. it wasn't until i stayed up all night to throw away years and years of mementos and things i have kept for reasons i can no longer remember - from old mags to newspaper cutouts, receipts (for some of my books), paper bags from bookstores, empty perfume bottles to one year's worth of chapticks (that translates to 24 pieces) - that i realized the following are truly essential in keeping things organized:
  1. boxes - a lot of them. also get one or two with partitions
  2. a new pair of scissors
  3. a very sharp cutter
  4. cleaning cloth
  5. air refreshner (i highly suggest febreze)
  6. a mask (to make sure you're prepared to dust what needs to be dusted)
  7. garbage bags (i was looking for a medium-sized bag but all the lady could give me was the industrial-sized ones)
  8. surface disinfectants (glade's a good choice)
  9. cable ties (i love them cable ties)
  10. coffee and sanity
that afternoon, i woke up with my muscles killing me. but i'm all okay now. what's surprising is that i didn't realize i had that much space in my study table. i put all that i don't always need access to in boxes and tucked them under the study table. since i have cleaned my room up, my next project is to add a few things here and there - i am thinking of going back to watercolor painting again or doing something different to my favorite pictures of my wife and myself and hang them in my room. i also have my eyes on this nice little lamp i can put on top of my table - to make my room more conducive to writing, exploring my own creativity and keeping my 'alone' time with my wife hassle-free with proper lighting.

0 comments:

 

anais nin

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

t.s. eliot

i should have been a pair of ragged claws.

frida kahlo

i hope the exit is joyful and i hope never to return.