eros the bittersweet

persephone | sonnet one

leaves descend upon the arid nothingness of
forgotten embraces, haunted only by the faint
memory of your eyes withdrawn from all
that makes sense, this earth waiting for

an apparition, a ghost, a phantom
a sharp remembrance of sweetness,
like the timid succulence of cherries
at dawn, like the fleeting tenderness of your

hands that move me like no one else can
like no one else will be permitted to
rushing the autumn to disappear into

a pallid, tormented sheathe of paper that
breaks and distorts itself through time
lingering for you.

2 comments:

Laura M. LaVoie said...

These sonnets for Persephone are lovely. I am a devotee of Persephone and I came across your poems looking for material for my own blog. Thank you for these poems.

imani said...

hi Laura! That's a lovely name. I wrote 28 sonnets for someone i call persephone. I am glad you liked the posts. :) catch you soon, i hope :.)

 

anais nin

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

t.s. eliot

i should have been a pair of ragged claws.

frida kahlo

i hope the exit is joyful and i hope never to return.