eros the bittersweet

period

I know you probably think I am nuts to spend time pondering on this. But I just have to. I am, however, speaking only for myself. I am not sure if the entire female population will agree with me on this.
Up to this moment I still am unsure as to the reason why the ‘time of the month’ is called ‘period.’
When I was in elementary, we had discussions about the male and female reproductive system. My teachers can attest that my aversion to discuss, even study the latter was apparent. I don’t know…maybe then it was all because I couldn’t relate. Nyahaha.
So yeah, we were told about the birds and the bees, but not at length though. I remember being petrified by the idea of having not only to deal with my period monthly but the truth that my body would have to go through cramps that just seemed endless.
As I was saying…12 years later I still am puzzled why they termed it period…and not, say, hell (okay, I know…as individuals some of us go through far worse things…the monthly cycle cannot possibly feel like swimming through eternal fire). I am just saying that it should not be called ‘period,’ that it should not be called simply ‘period.’
A period of what?
A period of discomfort? Perhaps a period of agony? A period of paranoia – all because you may or may not have a stain!? A period of drought…because again, it would be very unhygienic to totally be mindless of this and be sexually active. Maybe it can also be called a period of malady as it is very difficult to move when you have it. Perhaps we can also term it period of mood swings…because one time or another hell has broken loose…as the female body goes through waves and surges of hormones. And take note - this happens every single effin month.
I am such a whiner, I know. But I only whine each time I get it. Ahehehe. I suppose no one will ever get used to it. My mom once told me that she never wished for anything more than to have her menopause. We’re all headed there I know. But before that happens, let me conceive a ababy first, okay?!
Now dig this…after years and years of getting a ‘period,’ when you do experience menopause, it still won’t be easy. You suffer hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, your skin becomes thinner and you become more susceptible to infection. It basically means time is putting a halt to your reproductive system.
It is not easy to be a woman. It is not easy to go through all these phases in your life. This simply affirms the truth that the female species are far more enduring than their counterpart. This tells us that we are stronger – regardless of the facet – we are stronger physically, emotionally, psychologically.
I remember a guy friend of mine who would laugh and proudly say that men do not have to go through that kind of trouble. I say it does not mean you are luckier. I could just imagine how you all would look like when you have hot flashes or when you have to face persistent paranoia and queasiness.
I rest my case. Period.

0 comments:

 

anais nin

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

t.s. eliot

i should have been a pair of ragged claws.

frida kahlo

i hope the exit is joyful and i hope never to return.